Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Mind Reading and Telepathy

Have you ever thought of a word or phrase and someone says out loud exactly what you were thinking? If so, you know that this is a very odd feeling. How does this happen? I'm not talking about when you're having a conversation with someone and they finish your sentence or talk about an idea that you were about to bring up. That is common and natural because you are both on the same pattern of thinking at the time. I'm talking about those strange moments when you aren't even talking to this person or, if you are, they shouldn't be able to pick up on such an odd thought. Perhaps it's even a stranger.

I have two instances that I will talk of briefly.

The first...
When I was about 18 years old I was helping a friend move. His roommate and I load up her truck and we ride together on the way to their new home. We don't know each other well at all. We probably had only talked briefly twice before and of course it made the ride a little awkward with the small talk. Somehow, we got on college fraternities and something about the way it attracts certain types of people. She said something about how her brother was opposite from her in that way and he was in a fraternity etc. A little time passes and for some reason I thought about how date rape was a common subject when fraternities come up in conversations and I think IN MY HEAD the weirdest sentence - "Is this date rape that I smell on this here shoe?" Why that sentence would pop into my head I have no idea but just a few seconds later she says it out loud - "Is this date rape I smell on this here shoe?" Blew my mind. Anyway, I later found out that she was pretty deep into witchcraft at the time and this made me think that she may have been dabbling into some things that gave her these little moments. Last I heard though, she's now a Christian missionary in New Zealand.

The second...
This happened about a year ago in the french quarter of New Orleans. I was walking with my family and I saw a group of drunk college guys headed our way. It was late at night and at this particular time (closer to the Superdome) there weren't many people around. Of course, I got a little protective since my family is all female, except for myself. and once having been a male 19 year old I knew the kind of stuff that comes out of their mouths. I wasn't particularly concerned as far as bodily harm, but had to be alert. For some reason an unrelated bible verse popped into my head just as they were passing - "As for me and my family, we will serve the Lord." As they ran past yelling and laughing one of them made eye contact with me and said, "Don't worry striped shirt man." I was wearing a striped shirt. And then after they passed one mockingly yelled "As for me and my family, we will serve the Lord," right before he laughed and another one of his buddies asked him what the hell he was talking about.

I'm sure this has happened more than twice, because I very rarely think about these two circumstances. My thing is, if this kind of stuff happens around the world everyday, how can we just except the fact that there is nothing more to life that flesh and bone? We have evolved into these complex thinkers for no other reason than to die in 70 or 80 years (if we're lucky) while we disregard the strangeness all around us? We are always looking for ways to explain things away and secularize that which is beyond our understanding, but how do you explain people reading each other's minds? Maybe there is some kind of electrical output we are putting out there with our thoughts before they actually become words, but isn't this also in the spiritual realm all the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment